**This is a Chef exclusive recipe from “The Housewife Kitchen”. Do not use/copy/reproduce this recipe without the prior written consent of the author. However, please feel free to use the link to the recipe with due credits in your articles/blogs etc.
What do we need?
Sewai (vermicelli)-1 cup, tomatoes -2, onions -2, green peas -100 gm, ginger – 1/2 spoon, curry leaves-a little palm full, salt , red chilli powder, mustard seeds 1/2 spoon, cumin seeds – 1/2 spoon, bread pieces – chopped into cubes – 1 1/2 cups, turmeric powder- a pinch, asfoetida-a pinch, oil.
Garnish: Cashews, coriander finely chopped.
How do we prepare it?
Prepping the Sewai (Vermicelli)
1. Dry roast the vermicelli till it begins to turn golden brown.
2. Take water in a pan and add the roasted vermicelli to it. Cook it on low flame till all the water vanishes and the vermicelli is cooked well. Set aside in a bowl and let it cool off. The vermicelli needs to be cooked and should not stick together.
Making the Sewai Bread Upma
1. Finely chop the onions, tomatoes and grate the ginger. Also, chop the bread into cubes and keep aside. Collect the green peas into a bowl by removing the skin.
2. In a non stick pan, add a bit of oil and mustard seeds, cumin seeds, 1 spoon urad daal, asfoetida and allow them to crackle.
3. Then add the finely chopped onions and allow to cook. Add the green peas and chopped tomatoes and cook well. Make sure that there is no more water left in the tomatoes after cooking.
4. Once the mixture is cooked then add the cubes of bread and cook till the outer part of the bread pieces becomes crispy.
5. Add the green chillies, turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and mix well.
6. Add the cooked vermicelli to this mixture. Add curry leaves to it at the end and sauté.
Garnish with cashews and chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with green chutney and filter coffee for maximum effect!